When you have a cat you need to do everything in your power to make sure that they are healthy and well taken care of. Imagine the fact that they are children and though they are able to do many things on their own they still require your help when they want to eat, take a bath, and even clean their teeth.
It is hard for us to imagine trying to clean out cat’s teeth – but it is something that more of us should be doing. By cleaning their teeth we are helping to keep them healthy and hopefully helping them to avoid certain diseases and conditions that are able to occur in this area.
What You Need
- Sterile gauze
- Toothpaste for cats
- Small toothbrush
What To Do
- You will need to purchase the necessary supplied. The toothpaste for your cat can be found at pet stores or you can acquire something from your veterinarian. It is best to get something that has a flavor that your cat will enjoy to make the process just a little bit easier.
- Cut off a strip of gauze and wrap it around your index finger of the hand that you use the most. Apply a small amount of toothpaste to your fingertip.
- Now place your cat on your lap and try to open his or her mouth.
- Gently use your finger and brush their teeth in a circular motion. Make sure that you clean the are next to the gums well. When you clean the gums be gentle and gently massage them. You do not have to clean the back part of the teeth.
- It may take awhile for your at to grow accustomed to this. Once they have you should be able to go from using your finger to using the small toothbrush.
- Make sure that you work patiently with your cat and show them that you love them. If they sit quietly and patiently and allow you to brush their teeth then pat them, say encouraging words to them, and give them a treat.
- It is easier to do this process when they are kittens so that they will grow used to it and come to expect it. If you start when they are adults you are going to have a much harder time and you may find that they will never let you do it.